I recently met Chris Curran, PwC principal and chief technologist, at Forrester's Forum for Technology Management Leaders entitled, Unleash Your Digital Business. His talk about digital commitment and results (performers vs pretenters) struck me, especially as I learned more about PwC's 6th Annual Digital IQ Survey 2014 which includes responses from nearly 1,500 business and IT executives across a wide range of industries and locations worldwide.
Chris' keynote highlighted insights from the study and we talked about this on camera including one “aha moment.” Here are five takeaways:
- A digital CEO sets and steers the company’s digital vision and addresses the inevitable challenges that come with new ways of doing business. 79% of this year’s respondents have a CEO who champions the use of technology to achieve digital strategy.
- It’s essential to have digital capability that is woven throughout the business. Relevant information technology skills and resources are needed in all areas of the business. 58% indicate they have IT departments with good or excellent understanding of the sales function within their companies.
- The New IT Platform supports a multi-disciplinary approach that forms dedicated teams with the right people, no mater where they sit in the organization. Adopting agile processes is one way to effect this change. 29% use agile processes for more than half of all projects.
- Most businesses don’t cast a wide enough net for innovation. Outside-in innovation embraces new ideas and experimentation that come from unlikely sources. 17% look to universities or labs to gather ideas for applying emerging technologies to solve business problems.
- The CIO-CMO relationship is becoming increasingly important as so many digital technology initiatives are driven by marketing needs. 51% report a strong working relationship between their company’s CIO and CMO.
Read my complete 'Social Contracting' post via Selectica from #ForrForum Orlando 2014 including related research from Nigel Fenwick of Forrester Research, Inc. Watch the video interview in the post with Tom Kelley of IDEO about Creative Confidence. I'm finishing Tom's book now and will blog about it and my conversation with him in the coming weeks.
Follow us on Twitter to participate in and gain from @creatorbase conversations.